The photos on this Blog were taken as part of a summer independent study class at North Idaho College. The project was to photograph events from May through August, 2010, for the Coeur d'Alene Indian Tribe. Special thanks to Jerome Pollos, my instructor, Marc Stewart, Public Relations Director for the Coeur d'Alene Indian Tribe, and Phil Corlis of NIC for setting up this class and handling all the administrative stuff. I am grateful for the opportunity these three folks and the Coeur d'Alene Indian Tribe made possible for me this summer!

The entries below act as a learning journal and contain my feedback to my instructor, Jerome, on my various assignments and tasks throughout the entire course. His and other comments can be found in the comments section below each post. Everything is unedited and completely intact the way it was on the last day of class, July 28th, 2010, except for the Feast of Assumption section which I was asked to shoot for the Coeur d'Alene Tribe after my class was over. This section was added afterwords to completely represent my summer photography efforts.

PLEASE NOTE: Some photo sets unrelated to the Coeur d'Alene Indian Tribe have been included and were used as instructional tools along the way. These were situations where I went along with Jerome as he shot photos for the Coeur d'Alene Press newspaper.

The first section below is my final portfolio. Everything below that is arranged from newest to oldest, so everything is in reverse order by date.

Please feel free to take a look and leave me some comments. I would love to hear from you!

NO NEW POSTS WILL BE ADDED TO THIS BLOG.



Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Memorial Day

After some consideration, I really do not have anything new to add to this photo set that I did not include in the comments in the previous post about the Veteran's Memorial.  Considering the weather conditions, I am quite content with these photos and had fewer bad exposures than the previous set.

Stats:
309 Photos total
164 Photos remaining after bad images were removed
43+ Good Keepers


Click on photo to enlarge


1 comment:

  1. You have a few good ones in here. But you need to tighten up on the edit. There are a few that are very similar. And in those similar sets, there is one that has a moment or more action to it. Those should be your selects and then drop the others. A few almost look like tighter crops of the frame before it.
    I'm noticing you have a little more intent on the PJ artsy stuff. That's good.
    The three frames that stand out to me are as follows:
    Shot of the old guy in sunglasses saluting under the tree. You got close and didn't "snipe" the old guy.
    The frame of the color guard and the old guy looking up at the flag is nice as well. It's a moment and it's not much of a moment, but it definitely separates the frame from the other six that you have of the color guard.
    And the last shot of the firing squad. Nice repetition and then a focus on one guy in particular. And the casings in the air are a nice touch.
    When you're composing your frame, I want you to edit in the viewfinder from the outside edges in. See what is in the frame and then start moving around until you have what you want in there and what you don't want isn't there any more. Watch for dead space, random arms, car headlights, etc.
    I'm assuming this ceremony lasted about an hour? If so, 309 is pretty high. That means you are consistently shooting more than five frames a minute. And almost half of those images weren't usable. Take a breath, make sure you exposure is on and keep an eye on the light so you can adjust accordingly. Then make sure you have edited the frame through the viewfinder and you have a purpose behind clicking that shutter.

    ReplyDelete