The photos on this Blog were taken as part of a summer independent study class at North Idaho College. The project was to photograph events from May through August, 2010, for the Coeur d'Alene Indian Tribe. Special thanks to Jerome Pollos, my instructor, Marc Stewart, Public Relations Director for the Coeur d'Alene Indian Tribe, and Phil Corlis of NIC for setting up this class and handling all the administrative stuff. I am grateful for the opportunity these three folks and the Coeur d'Alene Indian Tribe made possible for me this summer!

The entries below act as a learning journal and contain my feedback to my instructor, Jerome, on my various assignments and tasks throughout the entire course. His and other comments can be found in the comments section below each post. Everything is unedited and completely intact the way it was on the last day of class, July 28th, 2010, except for the Feast of Assumption section which I was asked to shoot for the Coeur d'Alene Tribe after my class was over. This section was added afterwords to completely represent my summer photography efforts.

PLEASE NOTE: Some photo sets unrelated to the Coeur d'Alene Indian Tribe have been included and were used as instructional tools along the way. These were situations where I went along with Jerome as he shot photos for the Coeur d'Alene Press newspaper.

The first section below is my final portfolio. Everything below that is arranged from newest to oldest, so everything is in reverse order by date.

Please feel free to take a look and leave me some comments. I would love to hear from you!

NO NEW POSTS WILL BE ADDED TO THIS BLOG.



Sunday, July 25, 2010

Julyamsh - Saturday Evening Grand Entry

All of these were taken from the speaker's balcony using my 100-400mm lens.  Shooting three different Grand Entries using three different lenses was a very good lesson by itself.  I can now really see what you are talking about with compression using longer lenses.  I understood the idea before but was never able to see it this clearly.

At this point in the day I was fairly well wiped out and was having a lot of trouble holding my long lens steady anymore.  There were large numbers of bad shots due to camera shake even though I have an image stabilizer on this lens.  I basically had to delete way over half of the shots I took due to blur.

A very important thing I learned here was that I should have used the available light better than I did.  I should have used the 100-400mm lens from the balcony at the afternoon Grand Entry where there was tons of light, even though it was ugly mid day light.  The 28-75mm lens I used in the afternoon would have been much better in the middle of the Grand Entry crowd during the beautiful evening light.  It is too bad I did not think of this earlier.

Click on photo to enlarge



I love the lady's expression in the previous picture

When I adjusted the levels in this photo of the little boy, it turned the grass a funky color.
When I tried to adjust the color so the grass would look the same color as in the other photos,
the yellow in his outfit looked artificial.  I am not really sure what happened here.


I like the diagonal line the ladies create in the previous two photos

In this photo, I like the chaos of all the people and that one can see the spectators all around
in the back and inside, behind the glass.  One can even see the tents reflected in the glass.

These last two photos of Paulette are almost identical but the last one is a longer exposure than the first.
I was trying to balance her in the foreground and the event in the background.  I like the darker version
with the shorter exposure because one can see the crowd a bit better, even though one can see Paulette
better in the last photo.  I would be interested in your opinion.  This is a challenging situation in which to
find a happy medium.


1 comment:

  1. With the shots of Paulette, you have to consider what you are trying to showcase. To me the crowd is secondary, so an accurate exposure is needed on Paulette. If the crowd was the main intent, and you wanted to use Paulette as an artsy layer element, I would work the scene until I was able to find that angle that popped.
    The 100-400 shots from the announcers booth works for some, but other it looks like you went back to "sniping" the assignment. But I'm glad you were able to get a handle on compression applications with the telephoto.

    ReplyDelete